Monday, October 23, 2006

I think episode 3 of the Smithsonian Folkways Collection is actually quite interesting. I really like the variety of music it includes. The Bob Dylan song was my favorite. I also think it's cool how the collection contains different forms of art: it included MLK's speech, music played on the streets of NY city, music played in a club, recorded songs, poetry, poetry with music, throat singing, and children's music. The most significant part of this episode to me was when Moses Ash said, "You don't eliminate 'a' because nobody buys 'a', but just keep 'b' because 'b' is popular." This is important because every piece of music is a good piece of music to somebody, if not a lot of people. To eliminate it is unfair the minority, to tell them that their opinion is wrong. Also, our class is about music roots, and every song made along the way contributes. As music evolves, every song contributes to that evolution. I hypothesize that the less popular songs lead up to the more popular songs.

No comments: