Monday, December 11, 2006

Remember when we listened to that Folkways collection? I thought of it today as I was groaning over war. I remembered the song at the very end of the first episode we listened to (the third episode). I was thinking about those in support of the Iraq war. I thought, 'If you were fighting over there, you might change your mind.' The song at the end of the third episode of the folkways collection would be a good one for them to listen to. It is called "John Brown," an antiwar ballad by Bob Dylan, (recorded in the early 60's under the pseudonym "Blind Boy Grunt"). It is a great song. I will probably end up purchasing it if I can find it anywhere. Anyways, it tells a story about a young man who goes off to war and his mother is extremely proud and she's bragging to everyone. However, she suddenly stops getting letters from her son, and instead one day a letter comes and tells her to greet her son at the train station. She practically runs into him because she doesn't even recognize him. Half of his body is blown off and he can barely speak. He drops his medals in his mom's hands and walks off. It is a tragic story but it is also a valuable one. This song was written in effect of the Vietnam war, so it, and others similar to it were praised by many at that time. The musicality of the song is real good too!

No comments: