Wednesday, December 13, 2006

When I tell some people how much I dislike "country" music, they're absolutely shocked "What!?, but it is sooo good!" they reply. I know that is their opinion, but they're wrong. It is not good music. Anyways, I ran into country music lover today. I love music, that is the main reason I signed up for this class, (and because the way my schedule worked out). I was excited to learn about our music roots, and then I realized country music was considered our roots. Now remember this is back when I was completely ignorant to what original country music is. I know this is dumb, but I actually thought that this was implying that "Hot Country" (what our book calls modern country) is considered a component of our music roots. However I was greatly relieved when this was not the case at all. As I read the prologue of our counrty book I became more and more appreciative of the book. I had no idea what country music really is. Country music isn't all that bad, I like how all country songs share sincerity and a sense of hardships. Also, listening to it is not all that bad either, some of it sounds a lot like blues, and some sounds closer to rock. (I have some Johnny Cash on iTunes!) I'm glad this class exposed me to good country music, as opposed to the crap that is produced today. It is sad how the modern country has the same name, because it is so different. Like the prologue points out, it is insincere and is made to make money. I couldn't state it better than on page fourteen of 'In the Country of Country'; The songs don't last because they are devoid of passion and authentic feeling." Anyways, I thought I'd make one final post (or maybe I'll keep blogging!) about one of the things I took away from this class. I'm really glad I discovered what country music really is, and to get some reinforcement against those "Hot Country" lovers! We'll Nic, if you read this, thank you for a fun semester! Cya'll around! Peace.

No comments: